10 Interesting Facts About Metallica
Here are some facts that you may not know about the California group. Providing more neck sprains and moshpit injuries than any other band on the planet, Metallica are the messiahs who broke through the underground and made heavy metal popular in the commercial world.
1. In their 29 years active, Metallica have had 4 bassists: Ron McGovney (1982), Cliff Burton (1982-1986), Jason Newsted (1986-2001), and Rob Trujillo (2003-current).
2. Metallica’s first ever single was ‘Whiplash’ from their 1983 album Kill ‘Em All.
3. Drummer Lars Ulrich’s father is the acclaimed former tennis pro Torben Ulrich.
4. Out of the 10 tracks on 2008’s Death Magnetic, 6 of them have already been released as singles.
5. Lead singer/guitarist James Hetfield was born on the 3rd August 1963.
6. The band has released 9 studio albums to date.
7. Lead guitarist Kirk Hammett is the oldest member of the band at 47 years.
8. In 1999, Metallica were inducted into the San Francisco Walk of Fame.
9. Current bassist Rob Trujillo has played with Suicidal Tendencies, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Label Society and Jerry Cantrell.
10. As was seen in the 2004 documentary Some Kind of Monster, Marilyn Manson member Twiggy Ramirez (Jeordie White) unsuccessfully applied to be Metallica’s bassist.